Monday, July 28, 2008

My hometown



Hello! guys !!
How's it going ?


Today, I'm writing about my loving hometown..



My hometown is Okinawa, which is located in the most south part of Japan, and it's a small resort island. It's surrounded with so beautiful sea and people can swim from March to October, it's like a pradise especially for people from northern parts. Even if people from the different cities of Japan, they can enjoy there and totally defferent atmosphere. That's why my hometown is known as a very popular resort place in Japan, like Hawaii and Bali island.



There are something dramatically different from 10 or 20 years ago in my hometown. One of them is the increasing number of large shopping centers and mega molls. Of course, they supply to people more convinient life and amusement place to spend their holidays. For example, normally they open until midnight, some of them are 24 hours, and we can get everything whenever we want. We don't need to worry about the time limit any more. It's absolutely covinient and proceed thing in the latest 10 years.


However if I can say about the disadvantage of this, they were built in the places where were familiar with local people including me and made the scenary that was just like a resort in foreign contries... There is one place I used to go to have dinner or parties with my familly and many friends when I was a student. I loved the place, people, foods and time there and everything. But I can't spend there with my feelings like 6 years ago any more, because this place's changed into the huge shopping center. I can't pass through the place without thinking of my sweet memories.

On the other hand, I understand I have to accept the modernism in my hometown, because people take it for granted that they can take such a covinient service as a contemporary function. Even if it's in the resort place to escape from their daily lives, people live in the place have to reply to the tourists's requests to call them there. We need to compromise each other, anyway.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Hi Mariko. You make some great points about the way cities change when they become tourist destinations. Some places are best kept in their natural state, without 24-hour shopping malls to spoil the environment and the atmosphere. Poor Okinawa!

I hope that charming parts of your hometown remain, and that you can continue to visit them and have happy memories. Fortunately Vancouver still has places like this -- but you need to leave downtown to find them!